Monday, May 2, 2011

Dinner at the Fooly Cafe

I love April Fool's day, I don't really get into the pranks, but I love to play with food--so this is what my children get, an evening at the Fooly Cafe. Last year was my first year trying this menu idea out. Last year we called it a mystery dinner, but I think that I am ready to make it a tradition and that I will call it the Fooly Cafe from now on, I like the ring of it. It's simple, first they chose what they want for their beverage, first course, second course and third course...and then I serve it to them.


They didn't get to choose their dessert, but they were all pleasantly surprised at the crazy amount of sweets that were set before them. I served peas and carrots (green sixlets and mango licorice), mashed potatoes and gravy (vanilla icecream and caramel topping), and chicken nuggets (donut holes) for desert. This idea was from the Family Fun website.




For dinner we served lots of different things, for the "Happy cuppy" option, I followed the Family Fun recipe for meatloaf cupcakes too. It was funny to see the looks on Lucy's and Maddie's faces when they tasted the mashed potato frosting. They kept tasting it, trying to figure out why it didn't taste sweet. Oh, and the extra child is Hannah's friend, Gabby. She decided to stay for dinner that evening.








Hannah decided that she wanted to cover her shoes in tin-foil for April Fool's day. I'm still not sure why she wanted to do this, but she went to school with the shiniest shoes ever, and feeling awfully clever. We joked with her that maybe they were solar powered shoes.




This is what we all woke up to on the morning of April 1st. John had woken up early and turned the table and chairs upside down. The kids loved it. One thing is for sure, if we had a heavier and more expensive table he couldn't have done this. Yes, I am trying to look at the bright side. ;)







1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Billy always wanted to have a mixed up dinner in your garage for a prom night! We told him that his date might not appreciate eating the food with her fingers in a fancy prom dress. So your kids get utensils? What a fun tradition.