Thursday, January 14, 2010

A series of unfortunate events

Two weeks ago Johnny came home from church with this picture. I had to laugh when he showed it to me. I just can't put it away before writing about it, because it is a pretty good story. He told me that he was supposed to draw a picture of somebody doing something nice for him. So he drew a little numbered diagram (of course) of me and him, on one dreadful day, about two years ago. I wish I could write dreadful in scary letters with dissonant music in the background, because it was that kind of day. In fact I can still remember the feeling of wanting to laugh hysterically and cry at the same time.
This is how I remember it...It all started with three kids playing happily in our back yard, and one pregnant mom (me) sitting on the back porch. Then...the phone rang, DUM...DUM...DUM...dum. I ran inside to answer it, and while I was talking, Johnny ran downstairs to go to the bathroom. Within seconds, I heard Hannah crying, she had fallen on the cement and needed a band aid for her hand. I hung up the phone and went upstairs to get a band aid for her. Just as I was putting it in place on her scraped hand, I heard Johnny screaming downstairs. I ran downstairs to find water gushing out of the toilet. Everything was soaked! I plunged the toilet, but not before the water had overflowed from the bathroom onto the living room carpet. I started throwing towels on the floor and handed one to Johnny to wrap up in because his pants were on the floor when toilet started spewing water. I started frantically emptying out the closet where things were placed on the floor. It was in the middle of emptying out the closet that I heard Hannah crying again on the back porch. She had fallen again and scraped her knee. I went outside to see if she was okay, and then back upstairs to get another band aid, when the thought came to me "where is Maddie?" I ran back downstairs with the band aid, when I found her, my little not-quite-2 year old standing on a chair by the kitchen counter, with butter smeared all over the top of her head. Anyway, that's the climax of the story--it all eventually got better from that point. But, man, what a day! Glad that one is over and will never happen again. I did love Johnny's rendition of it though. I love his big wide circle mouth, and the big smile on my face as I happily run downstairs to help him. If only he could remember the frazzled mom I really was that day.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wow I never heard this story before, but anytime you're not sure where Maddie is and you haven't heard from her in awhile, you need to worry. I love the blue water flowing out of the toilet and the big mouth yelling "Mom!" I guess Johnny knew you were trying to help everyone that day.

WDL 5 said...

You're a great Mom despite that dreadful day.

Kim said...

Good thing we don't have these kinds of days too often! Sounds like you handled it all very well!

Missionary Mom said...

Toilets overflowing? That sounds like another "Loveless Tradition".

Val said...

That reminds me of a story about Hillary. Once she unscrewed the handles on the faucet of the bathroom sink and got covered in water. That was around the time she created a fireball with toast, butter, water, and the oven broiler.