Monday, January 31, 2011

Playroom!

Never, in my entire life, have I ever experienced my very own room for toys! Never, ever, ever! To say that I am in love with our new playroom, and my very talented husband for making one for me (*cough*cough...I mean, our children) is an understatement. I am having a ball making it FUNctional for our children. I decided to start out with some wall art. I am not good at picking actual art, made by real artists. It always looks different, and not quite as good as I expected when I bring it home. There is something to be said about making art yourself. It may not look the best, but it is meaningful and it seems to fit. Plus, I am cheap. So, this is how I have been decorating our play room. So far, it has only cost me about $15, and I haven't even used up all of my supplies yet. These are the supplies that I have used thus far:

11 old frames that I have been saving for no good reason until now
A left-over swatch of fabric from when I recovered my lamp shade, and other fabric scraps
A can of white spray paint
glue and hot glue gun
Paper from craft store
Camera/printer
Scissors
glue stick
Magnets from old job board
Felt and Velcro that I had laying around

I whipped up some super cute silhouettes of my children and their best kitty friend. I love how it gives the room a certain "Dick and Jane" vintage feel.


I made some frames that I could display the kid's art and easily change it out for new art whenever they bring home a new masterpiece.

I just glued fabric into the old frames and glued little pockets onto the back to hold magnets. I realize that I could have just as easily used a sheet of metal, but I didn't have any on hand, and I like how this turned out. Just place a magnet on the other side of each pocket to hold the picture through the fabric.





We got some storage bins from IKEA. Thanks to my neighbor, Bonnie, for the great organization idea. But I must be one of the last to realize how great these organization shelves are because I just found out that another friend of mine is using the same kind also. I made labels out of felt, and attached them to the fabric bins with Velcro. They are so easy to change and so cute, I think. Plus, Maddie and Lucy actually like to help clean up because they know where everything goes now. Hannah helped me make a few of the labels, nothing gives character to a playroom like a purple teddy bear to label the stuffed animal bin.










This wall is still a very bare, I want to put a full length mirror somewhere on it so that the girls can see how they look in their dress up clothes, and maybe some hooks for their princess dresses and butterfly nets. I also have a plaque that I haven't made yet (but I have the supplies) to put above the little door.


We have a few more pressing projects to do before we are able to put carpet in the basement, but we are hoping to get it in before next year this time. Until then we get to admire Johnny's artwork on the floor. I was pretty upset about it at the time, but knowing that it will be covered up in a year helped me to relax and try to find the positive in the situation. The only thing that I could come up with was, "I'm just glad that he has feet." I really am! Because as far as feet go, I couldn't have picked a more perfect pair to decorate my playroom. I have to admit that I got this next idea from my sister, Kathleen. She has an awesome reading room under her stairs right now. Our reading room looks a little cold still, I am planning on making a shelf to put in here for books and getting a soft beanbag for relaxing. I'm not quite sure how we are going to decorate it, I was thinking about getting some fun wall stickers, but the other day Hannah asked "why don't we just paint a mural on the wall." That's my girl! I don't know if I can, but I'm sure I can try. And if I fail...well, that's what paint is for.

5 comments:

Val said...

So cool. Honestly I don't understand the concept of buying art. The only stuff I decorate with is homemade.

kathyleen said...

Three words! Green with ENVY!!!

Unknown said...

Love IT! You guys are so darn talented! I need to come see it in person! :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

WOW!! What a great playroom!! LOVE the black bins, I think I envy them!