Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My favorite boy

I often tell Johnny that he is my favorite boy, it has only been recently that he has started asking "but what about dad?" I'm pretty quick with answers to tough questions, and I immediately told him that dad is my favorite man. I still have a little more time to figure out what my answer is going to be when Johnny becomes a man. I'm going to need it. Tonight I thought about this again as I was tucking the kids into bed. I sang a song to Maddie and Lucy, and the feeling came to me that I should sing a song to Johnny before bed. When he was four years-old, I would sing to him often, but slowly the routine changed and three short years later I was startled by the realization that so much time had passed since I had sung to him at bedtime. So I sat beside him, and ran my fingers through his hair like I used to, singing "Jesus once was a little child" (one of his favorites), I couldn't help choking up a little bit at the realization that he is growing up. A few more years and primary songs at bedtime just aren't going to sit well with him anymore. As I try to figure out how to be a mom to my only son, I hope that he still continues to throw his arms around me a few times a day and tell me he loves me.Johnny's sense of humor is growing every day too, he takes on the job of being the only boy so well. A while ago I started noticing that he never looks in the mirror when I do his hair in the morning, even though I always do his hair in front of the mirror. One day, I realized that I could do his hair pretty crazy, and he wouldn't even notice, so at the last moment I decided to accessorize it with one of Maddie's cutesy flowers. It actually took a few seconds after finishing for him to notice, and if it wasn't for the big grin on my face, I think that it would have taken longer. since then he pays much closer attention to how I am doing his hair. I love this boy.

2 comments:

kathyleen said...

You can tell you have lots of girls around your house!
Tip - you don't DO boys hair. You COMB it! :)
Torek let Boston get too close to him with a curling iron the other day, and wouldn't you know it the next day he's trying on her high-heeled knee high boots. aye yi yi. Big sisters should come with warning labels. Even with just one daughter, raising sensitive, compassionate, but still manly men is going to be a challenge! I'm sure you will have it all figured out long before me. BTW - Johnny's bow is cute, but a blue one would bring out his eyes more! ;) jk

Val said...

Why is it that all the Loveless children only have one boy each?

Billy grew up with so many sisters that he tuned out everything girly. He called bobby pins "metal sticks."

I love Johnny's bow