Friday, February 4, 2011

Still feeling crafty

The craft bug has hit me hard lately. I think that it may have something to do with the fact that April is only two short months away. I know that once Spring is here (ie: birthdays, yard work, children wanting to play outside more.) I won't have as much time to work on all of the unfinished inside projects that have been haunting me since before Christmas. One thing that I have wanted to do is make Maddie's and Lucy's room a little more interesting. I have decided that I am going to let my kids paint their own rooms when they 12 years old, I know that I am thinking waaaay too far ahead, but it is also giving me an excuse not to worry about painting their rooms now. So in the mean time, I have convinced myself that I can get away with decorating their rooms cheaply and easily. I found these awesome flowers at Target, 24 flowers (if I remember right) for $20. They look like they are metal, but they aren't.

$20 still seemed a little much for me to spend on plastic flowers, but they are pretty durable and there were plenty for the M and L's room, a playroom project (I'll show that soon), and a few left for Hannah's room. I am surprised at how much character they bring to the room, especially when they are spray painted coordinating colors.

Oh, I took Lucy's crib down a few weeks ago and sold it on KSL classifieds. We have had to do a bit of mattress shuffling, and buying, to make sure that everyone has a place to sleep. I can't wait to get started on Lucy's bed, it is in the basement ready to be refinished, but I think that I will have to wait until it is a little warmer outside for that project. The paint stripper is pretty toxic for an inside job.

I also had an epiphany about pants a few weeks ago, I realized that I didn't know how many pants each of my children had, and Hannah was running out mid-week. Since I do laundry every week, they only need seven pairs of decent pants at most right? Some of my kids have more and some have less. I decided to get hooks with 7 pegs for each of them so that I could keep track of the amount of pants they have and need throughout the week. (p.s. this wouldn't have worked well during potty training, I would have needed 3X as many hooks...and pants.) If we have too many then I can cut down and simplify, and I won't be tempted to buy more than they need. Plus I don't have to fold them, bonus! Lucy loves hanging up her own pants. Eventually I want to get rid of the chests-of-drawers and make some closet organizers for each of them, but that's a project for another month.

5 comments:

kathyleen said...

Love it. Where in Target did you find the flowers. I'm thinking "new laundry room/ craft room". I took "after" pictures of my whole house yesterday while it was still clean from hopefully our last showing. I have to send you a picture of the boys closet for you to catalog away until that someday comes for closet organizers. They'd be right up your and John's alley. Luv U!

Cheryl said...

Yes! Please do! I think that this time we will do the paintable MDF like you did. I like that look better, and no drawers this time. You should definately send your after pics to everyone in the family who hasn't been able to visit you so that you can show off your amazing work.

Cheryl said...

Oh, I found the flowers by the framed art.

Marilyn Zimmerman said...

Great idea to hang the pants and get rid of chests of drawers, Cheryl! When they hit puberty, they forget where the closets and drawers are, so this might be the answer!

Val said...

I love the pants idea. I think I might try it with Brandon and Me :)