Sunday, October 2, 2011

Muddy Buddies

We've been pulling things out of our garden all summer, and I am just getting around to writing about our spring.  If I had to distinguish the seasons by looking at our children, I would always be able to tell when Spring had begun.
They always seem to look like this,
 
because they like to do this.
..and this...
and not necessarily this....

I love seeing their excitement as it turns into this...

...and this...

...and this...
(I love Lucy's face in this picture)


This year Hannah grew peas in the spring and then decided that she wanted to plant some trumpet vines to attract hummingbirds when the weather got warmer.  We will see how that turns out, she started them a little late in the season and they only have a tomato cage to support them.  Maybe we will put a post in her garden next year if they survive the winter and she decides that she wants to keep them for a while.

Johnny decided that he wanted to grow Zinnias because he felt like our yard needed some color.  I loved it when he would bring flowers in to me, even though he only brought them in because he knew that I would pay him 10 cents a flower (1 dad dollar).  It always seemed so sweet, and they looked beautiful on our mantel.  I told him that when he is married someday, maybe he can grow a flower garden and give his wife fresh cut flowers in the summer.  Wouldn't that be awesome?

Maddie grew spinach in the spring and watermelon in the summer, they were delicious. She even gave a watermelon to her little neighbor friend.

Lucy decided that she wanted to grow a pumpkin after her peas were finished.  It was a little late when we got the seeds in the ground for pumpkins, but she has faithfully watered it and patiently sits and waits for it to grow.  I hope that it turns orange before Halloween.  If not, we may have to break out the paint.

No comments: