Sunday, February 7, 2010

The incredible, amazing, and hilarious Hannah

Tonight, as I took Lucy into her room to put her into bed, I was startled to see a really BIG baby already there. Hannah loves to play tricks on me, so I played along and set Lucy down right next to her. Lucy thought it was hilarious.
Hannah has been amazing me lately with some of the things that she does in her free time, and I just have to share. The other day she brought these pictures of Pegasus horses home, she drew them at school during free time. Being the sceptical mom that I am sometimes, I had to ask her if she traced them. She said "no, I just looked at the picture, memorized it, and then drew it by myself." It reminded me of the time she asked me to draw a "My Little Pony" when she was in first grade. I did my best, and when I was done she gave me a funny look and asked "is that the best you can do?" Then she showed me how to draw one. She hasn't asked me to draw anything for her since.




Yep, I may be a little bit biased, but we are sure proud of that girl. She's pretty amazing.
A month or two ago, John bought the book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" to read to the kids. He has tried to recite the poem written on the neck of the giraffe a few times for them, but it didn't have the same effect as reading on the printed page. Hannah read the book and took it one step further. For the next week she was busy writing her own poems, here are two of my favorites:

Kooky Kate
Was used as bait
But the fisherman never used her.
He took her to the county fair
But no one would even bear
For the judges to prize her there.
Instead, they prized a giant pear.
One judge was from Australia
He was very odd indeed.
Oh, that judge, he just knew
What Kate the bait would need.
“Good day, mate!”
He shouted as he shouted it with glee.
“You are very kooky cool.
And that's the thing I see!”
Then Kate felt very special
As she shouted out “Yippee!”
“I am very special.
That's the only thing I see!”

By Hannah Loveless




Minnie May
Slept in hay
To make herself itch.
She went to the zoo
Where she met Sally Sue
Who didn't hate her a titch.
They fed the ducks
and they petted the goat
and they looked at the gators
who swam in a moat.
They stared at the tigers
(Who stared at them back)
And in the next cage
Was a googly gack.
Oh, the fun they had
And the creatures they fed
But the best fun of all
Was having a friend

By Hannah Loveless

5 comments:

WDL 5 said...

Awesome pictures and poems! Good job Hannah! And great job Cheryl for sharing them with us all!

Leslie Moseley said...

You have every right to boast. Hannah is a talented girl!

Kelley Rae said...

So impressive!! Don't ever hold back from sharing - she's so talented!

Heather said...

I am in awe of your sweet Hannah! She is so wise beyond her years!!!

Val said...

Oh my goodness! Those are great drawings. And the Poems! Wow. In fourth grade we were supposed to write a Chel Silverstine-esk poem. Mine was nothing near Hannah's quality. Tell her to keep using that imagination.