Sunday, February 7, 2010

I think I've learned the trick!

Last summer I decided to start "paying" our kids for doing good things. I use the Dad Dollars that I came across in the Family Fun Magazine. It has been amazing to see how Hannah and Johnny have grown, and I think it is just because they are realizing that I notice when they are doing good. Plus they have a little more incentive to try hard things, we all need that once in a while. Well, I realized that I needed a little more organization because they kept having to ask what they could do to earn Dad Dollars. I found something that is working for them, it's not completely my idea...it's somebody else's idea, modified to fit us.



Anyway, this is how it works; for every heart (goal), that they accomplish and move up to their initial, they get a Dad Dollar to put in their bank. The stop watches on the side of the board are for their school mornings, when we have a hard time moving quickly. I put a number on the school morning tasks and they have to finish that task in that number of minutes to be able to move their heart up. It has been a fun game for them, and a nice break for me--I hate nagging.





Maddie still gets blank hearts so that I can decide when I want to let her move a heart up or not.

4 comments:

WDL 5 said...

That's a fun way to get them to do things. But I'd suspect they do it also for the love they have for such wonderful parents. And it was fun to go back and read the original post of the Dad Dollars.

Leslie Moseley said...

Wonderful! I'm showing this to my daughter.

Kim said...

What a cute and fun idea! Bet it's so cute in your house too1

Val said...

There is no shame in bribery. If it wasn't for the "bribe" of getting paid, I wouldn't go to work. Its good to teach kids that working hard pays off - they will be glad that they learned how to work for what they want.