Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The games they play

Who would have guessed that the little gummy bears that John brought home from his last business trip would be so much fun. I was busy with one of my many chores the other day while the kids were running around the house making noise. I didn't think much of it until I started noticing gummy bears stuck to the walls, the cupboard doors and chairs. Hannah and Johnny had licked the back of each bear and stuck them everywhere. Frustrated that they didn't realize that I was trying to CLEAN the house, I told them that they had better find and clean up behind every last gummy bear.

It was then when they explained their game to me. They were pretending to be part of a computer game. To win, they had to collect points by running around the house, finding and eating as many gummy bears as they could. I had to laugh when I realized how much fun they must be having, it was just the kind of game I would have loved when I was their age. Nonetheless, I am their mom, and my job is to make sure they don't have any fun ;) not to mention how gross it was to eat something that someone else licked. So I stood firm that the gummy bears must go. I could just imagine what would happen to the finish on the cabinets and the paint on the walls if those sticky bears stayed too long.
A few days later, I noticed one lone gummy bear stuck high on a cabinet door in the kitchen. It is strange to say, but I felt kind of sentimental when I saw it there, and I didn't want to take it off. It stayed there for another day before I mentioned it to Hannah, and she hopped up onto the counter to take it off. I love their games.

1 comment:

Kelley Rae said...

So creative - you guys are such a fun family!