Saturday, March 13, 2010

Time to play the glad game


...and after a week of slow mornings, lying in bed, dreading the same tasks that I did the day before, it is way overdue. I try so hard to be positive about motherhood and life in general, but sometimes it can be brutally mundane and prosaic. So today I decided it was time to play the glad game, it always helps. I think Pollyanna was wise beyond her years.


So here goes...

1. I'm glad that I have a home

2. I'm glad that I have children

3. I'm glad that I have a loving husband

4. I'm glad that my husband has a job

5. I'm glad that I can stay home and raise our children

6. I'm glad that our children are healthy

7. I'm glad that we don't have to use outhouses

8. I'm glad that my inability to decide what to make for dinner isn't for lack of food.

9. I'm glad that I have friends who love me.

10. I'm glad that Hannah and Johnny have excellent teachers in school this year.

11. I'm glad that each of our children is unique and has something important to teach us.

12. I'm glad that I have the knowledge of the restored gospel and our purpose here on Earth.

13. I'm glad that my life has been filled with so many willing and patient teachers, including my mom who has always had grand visions of my potential.


Sometimes it is so easy to take these things for granted. My heart goes out to those women who want to be mothers, but aren't able to, for some reason or other; or those who have to raise their children alone. I feel for those families who don't have shelter or enough food; those people who feel alone, or think that their lives don't have purpose. I know that with each blessing comes a responsibility to do the best I can with what I have.


Life really is good....nothing to complain about here.

6 comments:

Missionary Mom said...

I'm glad that I know such an amazing and inspiring woman as you, Cheryl!

WDL 5 said...

I'm glad that you write so much in your blog!

Katy said...

It would be a good week for me to play the glad game too! Thanks for being a good example! I liked reading your list!

Kim said...

I need to play this game too! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kelley Rae said...

Thanks for the reminder, I think we all need to play the Glad Game once in awhile. If you ever want a good read on this subject I recommend "Contentment" by Maria Covery Cole. I've loved it.

Cheryl said...

Thanks Kelly, I am always looking for good books.