Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Ancient Mayan City of Tulum

On our third day at sea we arrived in Cozumel, Mexico. It was a landmark day for me because it marked the first time that I stepped foot on non-U.S. soil with my world traveling husband.
We didn't actually spend much time in Cozumel, we took a Ferry to Tulum within minutes of dis-embarking. This boat ride was 45 minutes of sea sickening wonder. More than one person lost their lunch on this boat, and I was almost one of them.
Ancient Mayan ATM?


Cozumel night life...in the rain.




Cool bus in Tulum



I loved this palm tree, it looked like a character from the book "Where the Wild Things Are."



Beautiful Caribean Sea

Cortes pose


It was very wet during our entire stay in Mexico.

My first international kiss.

This was such an awesome experience for me. Our tour guide was a native Mayan and was very learned in his culture. He told us so many amazing things about these people. The people of the Ancient City of Tulum were one of the only groups in this area that didn't practice human sacrifice, they had a different way of worshiping. As I listened to the guide's discription of their practices, I was amazed at how closely they could be paralleled to some of our own. I couldn't help but get the feeling that I have read about these people before. I wish that I had the time and eloquence to write everything that I heard and felt. These people seem amazing and I wish that I could go back in time and visit with them.

Wall to the city.


Mayan Temple.



5 comments:

Katy said...

So cool!! I love the picts and I hope you tormented your kids with the kissing one! My kids hate it when we kiss!

Kim said...

Gorgeous pics!

Leslie Moseley said...

Which cruise line do you go on? It looks fun and you look great in this hat!

Sarah*MK said...

There are tour guides who are LDS down there and they will share that side of the story...what you felt was truth, you have read about those people before! I have a friend who went there and their cab driver told them of/to get a Mormon tour guide when he learned that they were LDS. Tulum is on my bucket list now and I definitely want the tour she got!

Cheryl said...

Sarah, I would love to do the Book of Mormon tour someday, but this was an awesome experience too. It was amazing to hear it from the perspective of someone who knew so little about the gospel and have everything line up so perfectly.