Monday, April 5, 2010

Quick, easy and cheap art...

I told my sister that I would show her my latest project, and I am so proud of myself that I decided to blog it too. I got my inspiration from this recent temple picture that I did at a class a while ago. I was amazed at how simple moulding and mod podge could make a picture look so great. So, I took out an old cheap print that John and I got from an online poster company about 8 years ago. It is called "praying man", John fell in love with the real expensive painting while he was on his mission. He was impressed by the humility and gratitude shown for simple things. I was never happy with the way it was framed though. I didn't take a ton of pictures of the process, so I am just going to explain it here for my sister's sake.

1. Cut backer board to glue the picture onto, leave about 3 inches on each edge. I left about 4, but my moulding was 4 1/2 inches wide.
2. Cut moulding to the right size with a chop saw, try to be more exact than I was.
2. Get a small sample tin of any color of satin latex paint, and paint the moulding with a sponge brush.
3. While it is drying spread mod podge on the backer board and place the picture on top. Work quickly from the center out with a flat edge scraper to get all of the bubbles out (I used one of the Pampered chef stoneware scrapers.) Work it longer than you think you need to ;) A little bit of scuffing on the picture actually looks pretty good when it is finished.
4. Let it dry for at least 45 minutes to prevent sagging when you roll mod podge on the top. I used a nappy roller to roll mod podge over the top, and I still had a little sagging even after waiting 45 minutes. It worried me, but the next morning after it had dried it looked perfect.
5. After your paint on the moulding is dry, hold the corners tightly together and staple them a few times along the seam. Be careful not to let the staples go through the thinner parts of the moulding.
6. Place the moulding over the picture and staple it into place from the back. You can use staples it you want, but my backer board was too dense so I found that the brads worked better.
7. Put a picture hanger into place...and TaDaa...you have art.




I realized after hanging it on the wall that I needed to paint the back of the moulding and the edge of the backer board to make it look better from the side. I still need to do this.





Over all I am so happy with how it turned out. I feel good enough about how it looks to happily hang it in our dinning room--something that John has wished all along.


5 comments:

kathyleen said...

Your poster turned out so great! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting it for me. I also love the SPRING on your mantle. It makes me want to put my scroll saw and some of my springier scrapbook paper to work... I know, I could make one for each season! Now if only I had a mantle.....

Kim said...

great job Cheryl! I love both photos!

Kelley Rae said...

Beautiful - they both look fantastic!

Katy said...

You are awesome! Frames can be so expensive!

Leslie Moseley said...

You should totally come teach this for one of our RS activities. It looks great! Oh, and for Kathyleen, you can buy fake mantles... we have one at my work! :)