Friday, September 10, 2010

My new favorite "Maddie" poem

Today, I took Maddie to her first theater class. I know, what am I thinking, adding more drama to this little drama queen's life? Maybe it will help her to channel all of her drama to something good. Recently she told me that she wished that she could dance with a lot of other girls, so I started thinking hypothetically about a dance class, but decided that dance and pre-school would just be too expensive, and I wasn't willing to fork that much out for a four year old. Then I started thinking about this theater class, and started getting excited. This year they are going to do an Alice In Wonderland play. After the first class I was even more excited, they are going to be practicing diction, dance, singing and working together as a group. I think it may just be what I need to fill in the gaps of what I can't teach her on my own this year.


At the end of the class, the teacher handed each of them a poem to bring home. I can't help but feel sentimental when I think of the words of this poem and my Maddie in the same context.

Listen to the mustn'ts, child.


Listen to the don'ts.


Listen to the shouldn'ts, the


impossibles, the won'ts.


Listen to the never haves,


then listen close to me...


Anything can happen, child!


Anything can be!
--Shel Sylverstein

1 comment:

Kelley Rae said...

What a great quote! Where are you taking her for her class? We were looking into something for MaKell but couldn't find a program that we liked. How fun for little Maddie!