Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Goal

With a little extra time on my hands lately, I have been cleaning out my craft room. While I was sifting through papers, I came across a conference talk that I printed out for myself a few years ago because of how it touched me when I heard it. It was a talk given by Henry B. Erying in the October 2007 conference.

..."I heard in my mind--not in my own voice--these words: 'I'm not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down.' I went inside. I didn't go to bed. Although I was tired, I took out some paper and began to write. And as I did, I understood the message I had heard in my mind. I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family...I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: 'Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?' As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done."

I remember thinking at the time that this was very important, and that if I took the time to do this, I would be grateful that I did. This thought came to my mind again as I read over this talk a few days ago. Sometimes I am a little slow at following inspiration, four years and one child later, I have decided that I am going to act on the prompting that I felt that day. I have made a goal to try to "write a few lines every day" concerning the more spiritual matters of our lives. So if you notice a change in the tone of my blog, this is probably why. I won't go on to publish the more personal posts, but I will publish some that I feel are appropriate. As I have said before, I like this method of journal keeping, and someday when I decide to make my blog into books for my children I don't want the best parts left out.

No comments: