Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another 7 years of bad luck for me

The other day I stepped on a mirror that one of the kids had left face down on the bathroom floor. As I heard the crack underneath my foot, the first thought that popped into my head was, "Oh no! Another 7 years of bad luck!"



By the time I was ten, I had racked up about 42 years of bad luck by breaking mirrors. How do I know this? Because I had two older sisters who have the memory of elephants and kept track of every thing that I had ever broken in my life. It's not my fault that we had an incredible amount of portable mirrors in our house, or that they were so fun to look into while walking around the house. It is very disorienting to look into a mirror while walking around, but very fun. I may have also used other methods to break a few mirrors, but this is the only one that I remember. I know that I have broken a few more hand mirrors since then, because I am very good at dropping things, but I stopped keeping track years ago.


I will explain my take on superstitions through a story about Madeline: On June 6, 2006, I was at a routine doctor's appointment, and I was nearing the end of my pregnancy. That morning had seemed a little more intense than usual in the contractions department, and I mentioned it to my doctor. He checked a few things and determined that since she was breech we needed to get this baby out before she decided to come out on her own. It was perfect timing, she was past the premature stage, and the hospital schedule was wide open, why? Because it was the dreaded 6/6/06. To that, John replied, "we don't care, give us the room under the ladder with the black cat and the open umbrella, we want to have this baby." That evening, I was very thankful that we had gone through with the scheduling because the contractions were strong and less than 2 minutes apart by the time I received my spinal epidural for my c-section. I have never regretted that our sweet, funny, Madeline was born on 6/6/06.


I just think to myself, if this is bad luck, I'll gladly have it for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

kathyleen said...

As soon as I saw the title I knew exactly what you had done! I haven't kept track of how many years exactly so it's good to know you've lost track too! My elephant memory must be fading. Or maybe it's just transferred itself to my elephant thighs! :)

Cheryl said...

Hahaha, Kathy, that made me laugh! And BE NICE!