Monday, April 25, 2011

Guest Bed

In February we finished the Guest Bedroom, well everything but carpet and fluffy things to make it seem comfortable. On the day after we painted the room, my mom came to spend the night. I, being 50% crazy, decided that she must not sleep in there until she had a head-board. I wish that I would have taken more pictures of the process, but this is how it went, give or take a few hours ;) (actually the times may be way off, but the order is right)

5:00--mom shows up at our house, we are happy to see her.
5:30--I show her the guest room, and tell her that I wish the bed had a headboard.
5:45--I go into John's work room and find some plywood.
5:50--I measure the bed, wall and board. Then draw a symmetrical design on the wood.
6:30--Mom visits with me and is a very good sport as I recruit her to be my helper.
7:00--Mom helps me hold the wood while I cut the design with a jigsaw.
7:45--I use Maddie's old comforter as the padding for the headboard, mom helps me stretch it across the headboard and patiently holds it while I staple it to the board.
8:30--I find some material that I was going to use to cover some lampshades, it fits perfectly so she helps me stretch that across the top. She stretches and holds, I staple.
9:00--We position it above the bed, and she helps me hold it in place while I nail it to the wall.
9:30--We make the bed. Mom is tired.
10:00--Good night mom, I love you!

How lucky am I to have a mom who supports me so well in all of my hair-brained ideas? Very lucky. We have quite a few more fluffy and functional things to add before it seems comfortable, but we are happy to have a real bed for our guests to sleep on now.

I added some fabric covered buttons and covered the nail heads with them. It looks pretty darn good for a cheap homemade job. It works for now, and I will always remember my mom sticking with me through the whole project.








No comments: