Sunday, September 18, 2011

sew we sew

So for the past year Hannah and her friends have spent hours in my craft room cutting and hot gluing scrap fabric together to make outfits for their stuffed animals.  It is fun to see what they come up with, and pretty amazing to see what can be done with hot glue.  She and I have played with the sewing machine  off and on for the past few years, but it wasn't until a few months ago that I finally decided that it was time to teach her how to make something for herself that she could actually use.  She loves going to fabric stores and she seems to have much more appreciation for designs in fabrics than I ever did.  She was excited to pick out three different types on fabrics for some p.j. pants and get to work.

I didn't realize that it would be so hard to carve out time to sit with Hannah and teach her how to sew, life is pretty busy right now, but she made sure that it happened.  I had a great time chatting with her after all of the other kids had gone to bed, and she seems so happy when it is just the two of us.  She did an awesome job with the p.j. pants.  All three of them are very cute on her...although what wouldn't be cute on this girl?  I know that our floor is kind of gross here, I hate having carpet in the dinning room.  That's something that I hope to remedy sometime this year.

 See that thing which Hannah is using in the picture below, yes that is a SERGER!  The Woot website is now my best friend.  There have been times when it has been an enemy to me, like when they were selling the howling monkeys (which John bought for our kids), and the camoflauge telephone that works better than any of our other home phones, but which we can never find.  They had a great deal a few weeks ago and John surprised me with this awesome gift, a serger which came with a brand new sewing machine.  They are both very cool, and I can't wait to try some more fun stuff on them.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Love the 70's print on the pj's! Peace.