Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Those sneaky Leprechauns

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



I've always viewed St. Patrick's day as one of those optional holidays, but John and I love confusing our children too much to let it pass without a little trickery. In the past three years it has become a pretty fun holiday for us. It started out with a simple Leprechaun cake (another excuse to make a cake), then it evolved to those sneaky leprechauns taking little bites out of it on the Eve of St. Patrick's day and dropping gold coins as they searched for it. The next year, we came upon the idea to build a contraption to trap them (with the cake as a lure). Last year we almost caught them, but they escaped by cutting a hole in the box with the butter knife that was used to prop the box up.


This year I didn't remember to make the cake until it was too late, so we used the chocolate oatmeal cookies from Family Home Evening for the lure. We used the plate of cookies as a counterweight to keep the box up.

Hannah made a note for them, so that they would know just what to do. Then she and Johnny found some green pajamas so that they wouldn't get pinched in their sleep, Hannah didn't have any, so she borrowed some of Johnny's.


Well, those Leprechauns tricked us again, they used a hat and some stacked gold nuggets to keep the box up while they enjoyed their treat.


Usually, the leprechauns carry gold chocolate coins with them, but this year they brought gold nuggets (rolo's) because apparently there is more of a demand for gold coins this year and there weren't enough to go around, I am sure it has something to do with the economy in Ireland.



I was hesitant to share this last picture, but I have come to realize that my chances of being awarded Mother-of-the-year are pretty slim. I may as well acknowledge my slip ups, and if possible even enjoy them just a little. This is what Lucy had for breakfast, I put her in her highchair so that I could make Hannah's school lunch and when I came back 3 minutes later, Maddie had stocked her up with rolos. She even unwrapped them for her, Lucy loved the flavor, but was having trouble with the caramel. I had to swipe it out of her mouth before she choked, but not before taking a picture (where are your priorities Cheryl!)

9 comments:

Missionary Mom said...

You still have my vote for "mother of the year!"

Val said...

Wow, what do you guys do to the Easter Bunny?

Kim said...

TOO CUTE!! what fun stories, and that's my kinda breakfast, too bad I'm stuck with Cheerios!

The very Happy newly parents said...

You guys are so creative! That must be so fun for your kids. They must look forward to this more than Christmas. Christmas you just place cookies out for santa you dont get to plan how to catch him.

WDL 5 said...

Maybe you should try catching Santa next year! This is just a darling story!

Sarah*MK said...

Love it!

Kelley Rae said...

How do you have so much energy?! What a fun family.

Heather said...

You have already won mother of the year award in my book!

Kendra said...

Hey Cheryl, Just wanted to let you know I'm looking at your blog. You guy are still as fun as ever. I loved catching up on all of the things you've been up to. Feel free to look up our blog if you want. its cannonfamblog(dot)blogspot(dot)com