Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Johnny

Six years old!
Johnny was very excited about his birthday this year. He has been wanting to go bowling ever since he happened upon a Reading Rainbow episode on bowling. In the episode they showed how bowling balls were made and the mechanics of what happens after the ball hits the pins. I told him that maybe we could go for his birthday. Well his birthday finally came, we made a bowling ball cake--yes "we" (all of us made it), it was a very messy nightmare and I am glad everybody survived.
We also finally decided to give Johnny a BOY BIKE. As adorable as he looked on Hannah's little pink and light blue bike, we thought that it wouldn't be long before he started getting picked on. It was time to graduate and we can see a boost in his confidence already.
After eating cake and opening presents we headed to the nearest bowling alley. John wasn't able to come with us because he was feeling awful that day with a severe case of bronchitis. He stayed home and napped with the little girls while the rest of us bowled.


They really enjoyed bowling, if you can call what we did bowling. We had a few very dedicated bowlers on the lanes on either side, I am sure they felt that we were desecrating the sport, I could almost hear the sighs of relief as we bowled our last round. I did discover that the lanes are VERY slippery and you should not try to set foot in one--lesson learned.


I bowled with a ball engraved with my name, I don't know if I should feel lucky or concerned that the first ball I picked up happened to have my name on it. Was this a coincidence, or is there an unusually high number of people with the name of Cheryl who bowl? I don't know, maybe this is my destiny.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Happy b-day Johnny!! Looks like a fun birthday, and I can tell he loves his new bike!

Heather said...

Looks like so much fun!

Leslie Moseley said...

I remember going bowling with the Young Women. I hadn't been in a few years and fell flat on my face! So graceful.