Thursday, April 30, 2009

If only socks grew on trees...

Wouldn't that be a wonderful world? That would be the end of buying socks forever! Well, guess what we have growing in our back yard--a sock tree! Hannah came into the house on Tuesday and excitedly told me that socks were growing on our tree in the back yard. Johnny wouldn't believe it and insisted that Hannah put them there. Hannah adamantly denied that claim and told him not to pick them yet because they weren't ready. I could see that Hannah wasn't going to admit to this any time soon, so I convinced Johnny to play along, or at least tolerate it for a little while. Later that day I was trying to find the mate to one of Lucy's socks, and it was nowhere to be found--Imagine that. I asked Hannah if she could go pick a sock off of the sock tree for me, she just smiled and said "Yeah" as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Today I noticed that we still had a few socks on the tree, and they looked a little ripe. I asked Hannah if the socks were ready to be harvested yet, she said that they were ready because they were infant size and would probably fit Lucy. She happily picked them all and handed them over to me.
Next, it was my turn to have a little fun. I went downstairs and got a canning jar and bottled the socks. I showed them to Hannah and told her that now we will have enough socks for the winter. She just gave me a little courtesy laugh--why doesn't she ever think my jokes are funny? John and I are hoping that our sock tree will grow bigger socks in colors besides pink and purple next time.

This last picture shows a few more of our random Springtime flower arrangements. The one on the end is another of Hannah's inventions. It is called a daffoleafil, it is a bunch of bishop weed leaves on a daffodil steam. She is such a funny girl.

5 comments:

Lors said...

I thought your bottled socks were really funny. I gave you more the just a courtesy laugh. You are such a great mom!!! Oh and thanks for the fun Monday!

Missionary Mom said...

So that's why our socks smell so "ripe" sometimes. Great story!

WDL 5 said...

You can actually turn those socks into money when your kids are teenagers. When anyone leaves socks or shoes in the living room at our house, Rhonda picks them up and chages 5 cents if the person wants them back.

Cheryl said...

That's a great idea Bill, I would get rich really fast I think.

kathyleen said...

I think my children would go sock-less before coughing up money for them!