Monday, July 6, 2009

Locks of Love

I wish that I could say that all of my intentions were charitable today, but I am not sure if that would be the complete truth. About six months ago after making Hannah cry during her daily hair brushing, I talked to her about possibly getting her hair cut when she turned eight. Then the thought came to me that it was probably long enough to donate. I told Hannah about Locks of Love and showed her a few pictures of children who had lost their hair. She told me that it would be okay to cut it then, and we have reminded her quite frequently of her commitment to do this. I took this picture on Sunday, knowing that it would probably be the last time we curled her long locks. Her hair is so beautiful that it makes my mouth water, when I take the time to do it. The problem is that her hair is only really done about once a week--combed and curled that is. Who has the time and patience to comb and style miles of thick tangly hair while listening to a wailing 7 year old once a day? I don't. I felt like I was doing pretty good if I could just get the snarls out and keep her hair out of her eyes. The funny thing is, that no matter how much it hurt to have me comb her hair, she still wanted to grow it to her waist.
Today while driving to the salon, she was actually excited about the hair cut. But as she stylist started snipping away, I could tell that she was starting to think twice about the whole thing. By the end, even a lollipop couldn't make her smile. Although as soon as we stepped out of the salon and made a wig for Lucy she felt much better.


She plans on growing her hair out again this year. She is still a little self conscious about her haircut, so if you see her, please only mention her beauty--not her hair.

4 comments:

WDL 5 said...

That's a great deal of love you have and she has.

Val said...

I totally know how it is to have long hair. I love how it looks when it is curled, but who has the time for that?

I plan to cut mine and donate it to locks of love in the fall. (When I have to start fully blow drying it so I don't freeze)

Thanks for setting such a good example Hannah.

Rhonda said...

Hannah, you inspired me! I just got my hair cut short too. - Rhonda

Heather said...

She will love having short hair this summer. She is adorable and what a great thing to donate!