Monday, May 10, 2010

Helping to promote a more sober world, one bike at a time.

I found a bike! I looked on KSL classifieds two weeks ago and found this beauty for $85. Can't beat that price for a brand new bike, only ridden once. The only problem...well...It was a "Cruizan Rum" bike. And it wasn't shy about advertising it. The guy who I bought it from was about 25 years old and didn't seem to be the bike riding type. He told me that he won it in a bar raffle. Anyway, I looked beyond that and tried it out, it rode beautifully and fit me perfectly. Yes I realize that it is a man's bike, but that way John can ride it too.


I brought it home and got to work. After-all I couldn't, in good conscience, advise my children to stay away from alcohol while advertising rum on each bike ride. I decided to try my skill in uncharted territory--refinishing bikes.


Here it is after disassembling, sanding, priming, painting, decorating, lacquering and re-assembling. Thankfully, my sister-in-law told me that the front fork was backwards, so I changed it soon after I took this picture. That was a little embarrassing, but I was just proud that it didn't fall apart during that first bike ride. It still rides beautifully, and I think I am in love with bike riding again. It brings me back to my college days where I lived on my bicycle between classes.


Since I didn't know how to do "fancy" I decided to settle for "inspirational". I found a quote from Albert Einstein that worked perfectly. "Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving." It's hand written, but I think that adds to the effect that I wanted. I can't wait to get a trailer someday so that I can take my girls with me on my long bike rides.



2 comments:

Rhonda said...

You've got that sanding, priming, painting thing down. Your freehand writing is so creative. I admire your courage. Me I would think I needed one of those vinyl quotes. - Rhonda

Val said...

Brandon is so impressed by this. He wants to redo his bike in Taxi Cab Yellow.