Friday, May 28, 2010

I'm 32!


I can't believe that I am 32, time has flown by so quickly! Sometimes I feel like I am in a dream and when I wake up I will be 12 again. How could I have already gotten married and had 4 children in the short amount of time I have spent on this earth? I'm glad that I was born and can experience all of the things that life has to offer; love, peace, chaos, joy, grief, inadequacy, accomplishment, and the list goes on...
You'd never be able to tell by the smile on my face in these pictures, but on this day I was experiencing exasperation. I'm not sure if it was because it was my birthday and I had unrealistic expectations, or if my motherly duties really were 10 times more difficult than usual. Needless to say, when John came home from work, he found a wife who was about to have a meltdown (because, after-all, if my children can do it, why can't I?) My day got much better from that point though. John brought home all of the fixings to make a yummy strawberry shortcake, and we had takeout from Bajio Grill (one of my favorites). John, seeing that I was having a tough time during dinner said, "now let's go around the table and each one of you can say something that you are thankful for about mom." We started with Hannah, who said "she's nice." Then we came to Johnny, who said "what is that part of you that grows babies?" John and I looked at each other a little confused as to why he would ask that question. John said "uterus?" Johnny looked at me with his sweet, serious face and said "I am thankful that you have a uterus." John and I laughed hard over that.
Then we moved on to the strawberry shortcake, John couldn't find fresh strawberries, so we took the frozen route, but it was still delicious. And yes, that is a backwards 5 on my cake to make a 2. But, hey, it's much easier to decipher than my 28th birthday cake which was lit in binary. I love my family, they make me laugh.


3 comments:

Leslie Moseley said...

I'm glad you have a uterus too so you could have these bright, funny children. They make me laugh. When you're 52 like me, you may have grandchildren to make you laugh too.

kathyleen said...

Happy Birthday Sis.

Some things I like about you...

You're incredibly smart, funny, cute, down to earth, talented, you're an excellent sister, and an even better mother! I'm always in awe of the amazing gifts that only you were blessed with, thank you for sharing so we can experience them too. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Missionary Mom said...

As I approach my 45th birthday, I can honestly say that I am grateful that I no longer have a uterus! (Hooray for hysterectomies.)