Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just a quick long winded vent

I try so hard to be positive about motherhood, and I really do love the experience, but sometimes I just have to vent.
My sweet little two year old, Maddie, has recently been replaced by an almost 3 year old monster. I don't know who made the switch, but it seemed to happen overnight. I was amazed and thankful when she basically potty trained herself about 4 months ago. She was completely potty-trained, day and night, for a total of 3 months--now we are back in pull-ups. Yes, shame on me for letting this happen. She has decided to give me another lesson on being consistent because she will only stay dry if I diligently remind her every half hour, take her to the potty, sit with her, help her wash her hands and then give her a sticker and a chocolate chip when she is finished.

This is not all, she has started throwing major tantrums. Sometimes it is about normal toddler things, like not getting what she wants. I understand those tantrums well and know how to deal with them. But most recently it has been insanely annoying tantrums, like the one we had this morning while I was driving Hannah to school. This is how they go:

Maddie (sweetly): Mom, what is that?
Mother (sweetly of course): What is what?
Maddie (instantly screaming and crying): WHAT IS THAT?
Mother (trying to stay calm): I don't know, point to it.
Maddie: WHAT IS THAT!!?
Mother: What color is it? Is it this? (as I point to the air freshener)
Maddie: WHAT IS THAT!!!?
Mother: What shape is it?
Maddie: WHAT IS THAT!!! WHAT IS THAT!!! WHAT IS THAT!!! WAIL WAIL WAIL!!! (continued for another 10 minutes)

I still don't know what THAT was, but Hannah and Johnny have discovered that sometimes if you tell her it is a nonsensical word like a "plinkelplopper" she will sweetly say "oh" and that will be the end of it.

Sometimes this doesn't work though, like the time Johnny didn't come out to be picked up after school. I was the last parent waiting, and Hannah couldn't find him in his classroom or the office. Hannah was in tears and I frantically was going through all of the worse case scenarios that only a mother can conjure up--like what if he didn't come in after recess and nobody noticed. Right at this moment Maddie decided to play one of her miscommunication games where she desperately wants to know something, and I have no idea what she is talking about. I ended up having to carry a shoeless, kicking, screaming Maddie in one arm and a pre-walking Lucy in the other as we made our trek to the office. By the time we reached our destination we had a tearful Johnny who must have just missed Hannah and was "tired of waiting", a tearful Hannah who was sure something terrible had happened to him, a screaming Maddie, a tearful mom, and a crying Lucy--she's just a very sympathetic baby. Luckily one of my friends saw me struggling across the parking lot and came to my rescue. She asked what she could do to help me. She took Maddie in her arms and instantly my screaming two year old started smiling and talking to her in her own little sweet voice. Uggh, the humiliation!

This is when I realize that four children is definitely enough. How am I supposed to keep track of them all, and give them the attention that they need?
Ahhh, I feel better ;) Thanks.

6 comments:

WDL 5 said...

Dosen't it feel good just to vent?

Heather said...

I am laughing because I too have a 3 year old. I too am done at 4 children and I too just need to vent sometimes. Vent away!

Sarah*MK said...

Whew! Aren't blogs wonderful for venting?!
How's the move going? Need any help? I could possible arrange a ride through bulletin board down there for a weekend if you'd like. <3 you!

Leslie Moseley said...

There seems to be a theme here... four children. That's what I had too. Mine are more spaced than yours but I still believe that 4 is enough.

Kim said...

Vent away chica!! It makes me feel better too. I see why most siblings aren't four years apart...mom and dad don't get prego with a three year old! Hang in there!

Christina said...

I just have to tell you that your blog is one of my very favorites to read. I'm so glad that John married you...and I hope to meet you someday. I'm glad that he gave you the link to my blog. Now we can get to know each other...cousin-in-law :).