Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Commy Mommy


Hannah is studying coinage this year in second grade, and for some reason she has shown very little interest in it. I decided to try to make it more fun for her by getting a few rolls of "the real stuff" to sink her fingers into, play with, sort, and actually buy something with. Since most of our purchases are digital these days, we really don't keep many coins around. We have had a tradition for the past few years that the kids are able to pick 3 sweet snacks at 3:00 (now it is 4:00 since they are both in school at 3:00). Usually it is three chocolate chip cookies or something. Well I decided that they love their sweet snacks enough that they would probably be willing to buy them from me (so I could keep the money of course). I decided to make it super enticing by getting a few bags of Halloween candy and labeling them with different prices. They still only get 3 snacks but they have to buy them with the money that I put on the table. When I was telling John my plan, he smiled and told me that I was running a Communist government. I didn't really make the connection before, but I guess there are a few similarities. I didn't mean for it to happen this way, but for this purpose it works. Eventually I may convert to a Republic, but in the meantime the kids really loved buying these treats, and didn't seem to mind that I kept all of the money for myself.

2 comments:

Kim said...

What a fun idea!! Is Hannah more intrested in money now? This could be a bad thing though!!

Kelley Rae said...

You are such a creative mom! I didn't know you had a blog, hope you don't mind that I peek in from time to time!